Frequently Asked Questions:
What is it?
An annual "subscription" to receive a monthly share (choose one of three sizes) of meat box every month from our small, pasture based, organic and grass fed farm from June 2023 to May 2024. Each box will have a variety of the best chicken, pork and beef that we think money can buy.
What's in the box exactly??
We will be 'spreading out' all the products that we get from our production for CSA across our CSA entirely. That means: whilst it is still "farmer's choice" for what goes in the box, 100% of the ribeyes (retail $25 per lb), 100% of the bacon (retail near $20 per lb), 100% of the NY Strips ($20 per lb) and Filet Mignon (circa $30 per lb) and etc, will be spread across our customers in a proportionate manner the best we can. It does not always work perfectly. Eg, there are not enough pork tenderloins to go around to the whole CSA for example. We are NOT doing ad hoc retail of those high end items on the side-- but including them in the CSA. Yes you will also get a proportionate amount of drumsticks.
And you need to know:
45% of a finished beef animal is ground beef. Expect that nearly half of your beef portion will be as such. About 40% of a hog is sausage. Same thing. We may cut back on sausage in favor of ground pork, and some ham roasts, but you get the point. It's going to be great, but you cannot anticipate "more bacon" (or pork tenderloins) than is actually on a pig.
Do I pick what goes in the box?
No, as above it will be farmer choice, curated principally on the seasons, but as noted above: members will be getting a proportionate share of all the good stuff. We are not 'saving' back the high end cuts for retail. We do not do retail.
Why do it?
Our meat is fantastic. You probably already know that. This is a way to lock in a price for our amazing meat for a whole year, and know where your meat comes from, and how clean and good it is every month. So, this is the only real way to be sure to get Haven Farm meats. CSA membership is quite limited and this year's members will get first option to sign up next year too.
Also - before the CSA year ends (i.e., before June 2024) we will host a CSA members only afternoon on our farm where we will give farm tours and feed all the members at a big farm party!
We had an amazing time in May 2023 with our customers, and we fed everyone and had a great time of fun and farm tours! We also do occasional events (concerts, tree planting day, etc) which you'll be aware of!
When does it start?
June 2023 will be the first delivery or drop off/pick up month.
What is the cost?
Economy Size: $125 per month for 9-11 lbs of meat
Family Size: $175 per month for 14-16 lbs of meat
Farmer Size: $215 per month for 19-21 lbs
How to do it?
Purchase a non-refundable deposit from our site (see the menu and find the DEPOSIT products) for the CSA product option of your choice: Economy, Family, Farmer. At check out choose either: Local Delivery/Shipping (small fee!) or, Local Pick Up from any of our pick up options: Haven Farm, Elk Local Foods (Apex).
Expect an email and text in advance of your first delivery/local pick up which is June 2023. You will be notified monthly near or at time of delivery, and we'll receive payment prior or at delivery/drop off by: Zelle or Venmo or other ways if you insist. :)
Do you deliver? Yes with a small fee! Here are the details. You will be charged at time of delivery.
When would I get my monthly CSA share? More precise details will follow but principally:
Around the 10th of the Month:
- Haven Farm pick up
- Raleigh delivery
- Durham delivery
- Chapel Hill/Carrboro/Hillsborough delivery
Around the 20th of the Month:
- Apex delivery
- Cary delivery
- Elk Foods pick up
What if I have to skip a month?
This has happened a few times, and it's not great for us. We only sell to our members, so we count on the revenue. So, here's the deal for this year:
1. We would much rather you didn't skip a month! Consider a separate delivery date or picking up on farm (earlier or later than your travel/etc.) I'd rather have an inefficient delivery one-off than not deliver at all. Or try to find a friend/neighbor who would be interested in purchasing a "one-off" that month? We can transact with them directly, so you don't have to deal with the payment.
2. If you need to skip a month, (e.g., long travel, other circumstances) you must let us know at least 2 weeks in advance. (Eg, 2 weeks prior to the 10th or 20th of the month depending which of the delivery routes you are on.)
3. If you inform us 2 weeks in advance, and you have not found a replacement, we will work to identify someone from our waiting list who will appreciate the 'one off' CSA for that month. If we find someone, all good.
4. If it happens once, we get it. But we really don't want to scramble to find one-off buyers too often.
5. If we cannot find a replacement we will require payment per normal, and we will hold that month's meat box for you for the future, and can add portions of that to your future deliveries, or bring the whole delivery anytime of your choosing.
What if I want to cancel?
We understand circumstances may shift, and we do allow a cancellation. After all, we are not collecting all the funds up front, but doing recurring payments. However, a cancellation will result in the loss of the deposit, unless we find your replacement before the following month CSA delivery.
We are available to discuss any questions: 919-236-3561 / email@example.com